(keitai-l) dynamic jam files, persistent storage and tracking the users of your IAppli

From: Randall Mackay <rmackay9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 03/18/01
Hi,

     After writing an IAppli that periodically
downloaded data from a server, I wanted to see how
often a user was actually using the IAppli and also
determine how many users were using it at one time,
etc.  The problem I found was that every http request
from the IAppli came in on a different IP port making
tracking pretty difficult.

     What I ended up doing was forcing the user to log
in before he/she downloaded the IAppli and then passed
this login name to the IAppli via the AppParam in the
jam file.

     Some more details of what I did are here (it's
not beautiful code by any means):
http://www.randallmackay.com/identifyingTheUserOfYourIappli.htm

     I thought this trick might be useful for storing
down a user's preferences as well.  As far as I know
you don't get any persistent storage on the phone but
you could store something down on a server and
retrieve it whenever the IAppli starts up.

-Randy