(keitai-l) Re: Ericsson's new phone - with colour display

From: Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang <hubert_at_4w1h.com>
Date: 03/22/01
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Gustaf Rosell wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:19:24 +0100
> From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf@xpedio.com>
> To: keitai-l@appelsiini.net
> Subject: (keitai-l) Re: Ericsson's new phone - with colour display
>
> At 03:02 2001-03-22, you wrote:
> >Who would have thought that Ericsson would be the first non-japanese phone
> >maker to come out with colour display? Cute too...
> >
> >http://www.ericsson.com/t68/
>
> They are desperate. This phone does not exist yet even as a prototype. But
> the 3D modellers have worked around the clock to make it look OK. But of
> course, it will be nice if this one will be available in Q4..

I also notice the 'glossy' effect of the picture is unreal.
The lighting is wrong. But the 'button' is very simliar to the
i-mode one click button. It is still too thick just by looking at it.
Also, the spec says it will use the WAP 1.2

What? 1.2 in Q4 2001? Well, just a few months, you will have to
throw the phone out. They will have WAP 2 in the middle of this year
and then when the phone is out for sale it is already outdated.

I was reading just a few days ago on the openwave(aka phone.com , aka
unwired plan aka who knows aht?) they will have browser with
color image, download music ability and a better gui that will
acept XHTML basic, cHTML, and WAP and it will be availalbe in
the middle of the year. Then in one week. Access Ltd announced
they HAVE the product doing all the above and ready to ship.
Of course, Access is the company providing the NetFront browser
for i-mode.

There is a reason why NTT DoCoMo just went ahead for the
cHTML and i-mode. WAP forum just all talks and little action.
It takes too long to settle the 'standard' (which satisfies
all the major carriers and hanset makers. )

Hubert