(keitai-l) Re: i-mode opened to ISP?

From: Harry Behrens <Harry_at_Behrens.com>
Date: 03/23/01
If you go to your settings menu on your i-mode phone you'll understand what
it means:

there already is (and always has been) a submenu to set i-mode access
parameters (somewhat akin to setting your Dial-up network properties).
In the future you can therefore use i-mode phones to access the Internet
using DoCoMo's network or that of any other provider. The biggest impact
will probably not be usability (shouldn't be any difference) but the fact
that each individual provider will be able to choose his own policy
regarding 'official' i-mode sites -> there will be official sites for each
i-mode provider.
This should provide a tremendous boost to venture firms for whom the revenue
stream from an official site will be easier to assure.
However, there could be problems due to fragmentation: so far all official
sites have the complete user base of DoCoMo as potential clients; in the
future you will be limited to the number of clients your provider has.

	Harry

XS8MKC&live=
> > true&tagid=ZZZPCGI2B0C&subheading=telecoms
> > You can access i-mode service (especially for the official site)
> > through ISP ( so regular browser.) or what? I think that
> > will make sense but some other report is confusing...
> > Hubert
>
> It means that a user will be able to select which ISP to use to access the
> internet ( i-mode sites ) in a similar way to the fixed internet. ie.
using
> So-net while the local loop is owned by NTT or like international carriers
> on top of the local loop.

So you are saying, when they push the 'i' button they will be
using the ISP they have choosen, not DoCoMo's anymore?
What about the packet traffic charge? DoCoMo is going to waive
it? That is highly unlikely. That is their main source of data revenue.

Hubert