(keitai-l) Re: OT: i-mode menu and user behavior

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 03/25/01
Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Marc Printz wrote:
> > Renfield Kuroda wrote:
> > > (...)
> > > Also, "time usage" is a sketchy one. Does that count time composing
> > > emails? Just sending and receiving? Interesting numbers, but not very
> > > conclusive.
> >
> > ...which reminds me: How long is the coastline of Norway? ;-)
>
> 21,925 km. in case you are really interested. :)

I think you missed the point, which is that both measurements depend on
the resolution at which you measure.

In the case of coastlines, the measured length will increase as your
notional measuring stick shrinks, because you start to include smaller
and smaller variations.  (Also, your measurement will vary greatly over
short periods of time.)

In the case of measuring use of information services, the result again
depends on the resolution at which you measure.  Do you count time
spent pressing buttons, or each minute in which there was some
interaction, or something else?  This gets worse with self-reporting
surveys where the measurements won't even be consistent.