(keitai-l) Re: Bluetooth problems

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/26/01
Mika wrote:
> Quite interesting article at the URL below about bluetooth
> incompatibility problems:
>
> "Right now, the standard is defined, but companies are using
> different specifications, Haag said."
>
> Somehow it reminds me about the WAP "standard".

Or perhaps more similar to what SCSI went through.
I.e., a mix of vendor incompetence and lock-in-motivated
venality.

Since bluetooth is a *local* area communications "standard",
it doesn't benefit very much at the moment from classic
network effects.  The WAP people at least understand that
WAP phones have to talk to WAP networks, but gadget
makers might prefer that their own gadgets only talk to
each other.