(keitai-l) RE (2): I-mode in the US - where's the content?

From: Daniel Scuka <daniel_at_japaninc.net>
Date: 03/27/01
I forgot to add....

Any of the US/Canadian players here now and already producing
content/services on i-mode will be ideally placed to "export" their
new-found knowledge back home. For example, look at TD Waterhouse. They
invested beaucoup $$ + time/effort into learning how to provide securities
trading on i-mode in Japan. Now that they know how to do it here, it's a
(relatively) straightforward matter of replicating the site back home. The
data feed that provides the disclosure info on the companies being traded is
already set up,  they know about formatting, network protocol, and other
tech limitations (e.g. setting session time-outs so as not to loose a trade
just because your car drives through a tunnel), and they've already
convinced the high-priced help in HQ that i-mode is a necessary additional
channel through which to maintain client contact. The formatting, site
design & building, and backend integration services, as we all know, can be
provided by any one of a hundred Web design or tech consulting outfits
located up and down the West coast.

I don't wish to sound like a cheering section for TD Waterhouse, but they
are a solid, archetypal example of a firm that's figured out i-mode, and
even if they haven't yet realized they can export this back to the US, they
can, and it's only a matter of time 'til firms like this do so (did someone
say Disney, Northwest, or Bloomberg?).

--Daniel