(keitai-l) Re: OT: i-mode menu and user behavior

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/24/01
Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Marc Printz wrote:
>

> > ...which reminds me: How long is the coastline of Norway? ;-)
>
> 21,925 km. in case you are really interested. :)

this is wrong in a mathematical sense.

The coast line of a country has "fractal" properties, i.e. it gets
longer without limit the closer you look. Coast lines are the
text-book example you'll find in the introductory pages in any
book on fractals, the best is:
"Fractal Geometry of Nature" by Benoit B. Mandelbrot.

Any book author who writes that the coastline of Norway is
21,925km long has no idea about the basics of Mathematics.
With exactly equal justification (in the strict mathematical sense)
you can write that the coast line of Norway is
15 000km, 99 999km, 1 500 000km, 999 999 999km long.

Not sure that has much to do with keitais though.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/