(keitai-l) How do you want to be quoted in the KEITAI-L FAQ?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/27/01
Sorry to keep posting about the KEITAI-L FAQ -
we really are taking it mostly off-line.

The copyright/attribution issue is important, though,
since so much potential raw material for the FAQ is
on this list, and written by YOU.  (You non-lurkers, anyway.)

If you've written something on this list, you may
have complete control over it.  As far as I'm concerned,
it's already "(C) You".  And some legal systems
support this:

http://www.copylaw.com/articles/copy_myths.html

Until I am relieved of my command as the KEITAI-L
FAQ uber-geek, I plan to take the most stringent
possible interpretation of your rights to your words.

That is one reason why my RAQ consists mainly
of links into the keitai-l archives - it's already
bad enough that I'm linking to your contribution
in ways that you have no control over.

So: could you think about how you want to be quoted?
I have proposed to one potential source that their
material will always be tagged as follows:

  "<quoted paragraph>" [(C) Nantokanantoka, Inc., used by permission]

with the company name linked to the web page of their
choice.  This is about as much as you could want, and
probably more than most people need.

At the other end of the spectrum (getting laconic, as it were)
you might have

  "<quoted paragraph>" [R e n]

with no link, or maybe just an e-mail URL on "R e n",
or a link to the possibly-longer KEITAI-L archive
entry from which the quote was drawn.

I'm open to other ideas, including using more of a
footnote style.  Anything.  Really.  (OK, OK, no
Javascript invocations that pop obnoxious corporate
blurbs in people's faces, playing the company's
radio jingles, cute fuzzy pink animals dancing, etc.)

I will, needless to say, ask permission for each quote.

-m
leap@gol.com