(keitai-l) Re: dynamic jam files, persistent storage and tracking the users of your IAppli

From: Randall Mackay <rmackay9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 03/29/01
Jason,

     I think any unique identifier would be fine
including a session identifier.  It's only possible to
set the appParam when then Iappli is downloaded though
and then it lives on until the user deletes the Iappli
from their phone.

Ashish,

     Funny that I never thought of that.  It's much
more straight forward solution.  I guess the only
downside would be that the user would have to fill in
their username/password everytime they run the Iappli.
 The way I have it now they only sign in when they
download the Iappli.

-Randy

P.S. I've been away on vacation, that's why this
response was so slow.

--- Jason Pollard <jasonpollard@yahoo.com> wrote:
> For a non-secure session tracking, couldn't you put
> a session key in the
> appparam?
>
> --Jason
>
>--- Ashish Agrawal <ashish_ag@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> it's an interesting way of doing authentication,
>> but what does it buy you over lets say, having the
user sign-in via the
>> iappli itself, and then sending that user name over
to the server each time
>> ? or maybe i am just missing something.
>> OR I guess i don't understand what u mean by
signing in via a "basic authentication"

>> -Ashish
>>

>> >      After writing an IAppli that periodically
>> >downloaded data from a server, I wanted to see how
>> >often a user was actually using the IAppli and
also
>> >determine how many users were using it at one
time,
>> >etc.  The problem I found was that every http
request
>> >from the IAppli came in on a different IP port
making
>> >tracking pretty difficult.
>> >
>> >      What I ended up doing was forcing the user
to log
>> >in before he/she downloaded the IAppli and then
passed
>> >this login name to the IAppli via the AppParam in
the
>> >jam file.
>> >
>> >      Some more details of what I did are here
(it's
>> >not beautiful code by any means):
>>
>>http://www.randallmackay.com/identifyingTheUserOfYourIappli.htm
>> >
>> >      I thought this trick might be useful for
storing
>> >down a user's preferences as well.  As far as I
know
>> >you don't get any persistent storage on the phone
but