(keitai-l) Re: Japanese Net penetration

From: Joran Roslund <joran_roslund_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 03/30/01
>I had an argument with an obnoxious sales rep from Nokia at a tradeshow
>here in Sydney recently who argued that mobile Internet is a success in
>Japan only because fixed-line penetration is sooooo low.

I think that if you turn that statement around, it's true. WAP is such a
failure in Europe because fixed-line Internet penetration is so high here.
Most people started using computers in the latter part of the 1990s and are
accustomed to large screens, colours, animations and sounds. When they use
WAP for the first time, it's a huge disappointment. It's like being back in
the VT100 days, but for people who have no experience of VT100. Most people
in Japan had no point of reference when i-mode started in 1999.

Joran

.