(keitai-l) Re: NTT DoCoMo Discloses Method to Obtain 503i Handset ID from Web Site

From: Jamie Hayes <jamie_at_oceansmoke.com>
Date: 04/02/01
On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 06:02:36PM +0900, Reto Grob wrote:
> http://www.nikkeibp.asiabiztech.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/news/127130
>
> The warning function is interesting for keeping some form of privacy [if it
> cannot be bypassed]
>
> But I do not see it for enabling security:
> - There is no info on how the id is created, so it is possibly insecure.
> - Use your own i-appli micro browser and fake ids to access ...
>
>   "...groupware or Web sites conducting online transactions, for
> authorization."
>   [text]
>
>   happy m-trading! :)
>
> Anyone thinking about the security of the id?

Sure are!

The MIDP group are looking at another security model: allowing MIDlets to get and set data stored on the SIM (Javacard). Since DoCoMo don't use SIM cards, I doubt this would be an attractive model, but surely this is too fakeable to be acceptable to the trading houses?

Anyone think differently?

// jamie@oceansmoke.com
// +44 (0)7779 798 245