(keitai-l) Re: BREW vs J2ME

From: Gary James <gary.james_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 04/18/01
> didn't see the original article but the 60 versus 11,000 comparison for BREW
> vs. J2ME developers seems weird, whether it was "analysts say" or not.......

I think those numbers are quite reasonable since J2ME is already out
there being used in the real world whereas BREW is still just a press
release.  Qualcomm won't be releasing the dev kit until next month.

> surely these BREW numbers represent developer shops? and the 11,000
> individual individual downloads. it's important to remember that download
> numbers are not the same as developer numbers.

The BREW figures are probably the number of people who have registered
interest in BREW technology whereas the Java figures must be the number
of downloads.  True, you can't really compare these numbers, but it does
give a good indication as to what's currently hot and what's not.  I'm
sure as soon as the BREW dev kit is released those numbers will go up
pretty quickly, but there will be a lot of catching up to do.