(keitai-l) Re: L-mode generates hate

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 04/26/01
Jani writes, in part:
> ...but I find the concept of L-mode fairly surprising.  Proprietary
> crippled terminal and proprietary walled-in service from a monopoly
> provider -- I thought that particular business model died out with
> the Minitel?

The Minitel comparison was also made with i-mode itself, but didn't
seem to slow that phenomenon down much.   And Minitel was very
popular in its time - people ran up huge bills just like they do now
with keitai; and a lot of Japanese may never have a home computer.
(Look at how long it's taken the Japanese to give up dedicated word
processors - special-purpose gadgets have a certain appeal here.)

L-mode has a lot of potential, I think - and the other Japanese telecom
companies have reason to fear an NTT lock on the service.

-m
leap@gol.com