(keitai-l) Re: L-mode generates hate

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 04/27/01
> From: jani@sanpo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
>
> ..but I find the concept of L-mode fairly surprising.  Proprietary
> crippled terminal and proprietary walled-in service from a monopoly
> provider -- I thought that particular business model died out with
> the Minitel?

On the other hand, minitel is still out there (and making money).  Though am
dismayed that L-mode doesn't expand on display size and capabilities (as it
well could have), it does provide another pay-for-content medium for content
providers.  This is where the web has, thus far, failed (business model and
usage-wise).

In the not too distant future would see entertainment boxes (such as sony's
playstation) as being the most common portal at home to the internet (or
more probably a pay for content network such as L-mode).  It would be a
surprise (and a shame) if they did not expand the capabilities and
geometries of displays L-mode content could be viewed on.

---
Jonathan Shore
E-Publishing Group K.K.