(keitai-l) Re: 2G networks - How congested?

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 05/01/01
I would like to comment on 3 of the issues here.

1.  I'm not sure if 2G started yet or not but on December 31 1999
at New Years DoCoMo's network went down completely.  I was at
a shrine waiting to watch the Bell ring in Kyoto and everyone's
phone went dead.  It went on the news.  The Network reached its
maximum and it was big news.  It was COOL.  So fascinating.

2.  Antennas are usually not necessary.  Sometimes I have great
reception and sometimes I don't.  The antenna is a great device to
make you think you have better reception but it seems to only
make a slight difference.

3.  I hardly ever use my phone's for talking but I use them to transmit
chakumelo all the time.  And I find DoCoMo i-mode is the fastest and most
reliable one.  It works almost every time quickly.  TuKa and IDO's EZWeb
seems to be second.  Its often quite a bit slower than DoCoMo and
only slightly less reliable.  But J-Phone is horrible.  I get cut off
all the time sending Chakumelo over J-sky and it takes
the longest time of all 3 networks.

Also newer models almost always work better with the WEB on any
brand of phone which is good to know.

PS As a result to calm myself I always pull out the antenna with a
J-Phone but hardly ever with an imode or EZweb phone

-Paul Lester
(on vacation in the USA)