(keitai-l) difficulties of becoming an official i-mode site

From: Funk Jeffry Lee <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 05/08/01
Hello everyone,

For those of you who are interested in the challenges of becoming an
official i-mode site, here is an interesting article about virgin airline's
efforts to do so courtesy of a british airways colleague. Even more
interestingly, I heard a rumor that northwest (the only foreign airline on
the i-mode menu) became an official site through its 50 year relationship
with japan air systems. Sounds as if crony capitalism is alive and well in
Japan and it is only a matter of time (maybe its already happened) before
some government (probably the US govt) claims that i-mode's unclear
evaluation of sites is a non-tariff trade barrier.

Jeff Funk
Associate Professor
Kobe University
Research Institute on Economics and Business