(keitai-l) Re: i-appli on phones of diff company

From: Gary James <gary.james_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 05/15/01
> Paul wrote
> >     For instance networking protocols for i-appli are handled differently
> >  on the N? phone and I think the F has some oddities
> > with URL updates and the month April. etc etc.  Little things that
> > add up to a lot.  Check out font sizes!
>
> I am curious as to what you mean when you say the Nseries handles networking
> protocols
> differently?   I am thinking about buying one, but if it is a problem then
> maybe I will have to
> get another phone.

The N-phone doesn't handle networking protocols differently as such.
It's more about implementation differences.  Although a programmer could
use the same code on all models, the N-phone seems to be a lot more
delicate when it comes to resources.  For example on most of the other
phones you can get away with not explicitly closing all connections (a
useful space saver), the N-phone however will crash if you don't do this
(a good or bad thing depending on your opinion).  I've also found that
if an app makes lots of networking calls it may cause the N-phone to
randomly crash (this hasn't been confirmed yet).

Of all the phones currently available I'd say the N-phone comes up top!
It looks very smart, has a very nice user interface and good overall
Java performance.  NEC know how to make good handsets and it is no
surprise that their handsets are often the best sellers.