(keitai-l) Re: Useful inventions...for conserved news?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 05/22/01
Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@roundpoint.com>, in response to
> > .....My understanding ....is that API calls are "late-bound" -
> > the actual character
> > string representation of the method call is still in
> > the downloaded binary.
>
> Of course they are late-bound - otherwise they couldn't work in
> different phones!

There's more than one way to skin that cat - e.g., the BIOS
approach, with its standardized trap codes for OS intrinsics.

Me:
> > That would seem to bulk it out a little, to the extent that
> > cHTML content is tag-text, anyway.

He:
> No, it shouldn't - each function name only needs to appear once for
> each class (or maybe only once in the whole package).

Which is why I said "bulk it out *a  little*" - if the API were BIOS-style,
the function names wouldn't need to appear at all.  If an iAppli
consisted of a lot of different calls and not much else, the extra
late-binding overhead might even be significant.

-m
leap@gol.com