(keitai-l) Re: Men Talk More on Cellular Telephones, Survey Shows

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/15/01
Victor wrote:
> > ....As far as I have seen in Europe and in Japan, it are mostly young
> > women that use keitai a lot, not men. A cellphone is regarded as a
*girl's*
> > best friend I would say... Now could this be because in America most
young
> > women do not own a phone yet!?

Gerhard responded:
> it is fiction that most Japanese users of mobile phones (keitai) are young
> women! [statistical gedanken experiment snipped]

Read carefully - Victor was talking NOT about a gap in ownership, but a
gap in frequency/length of use.

Young Japanese women probably talk more on their mobile phones than
women in other countries for the same reason that young Japanese women
tote Prada handbags so much more: they more disposable income, and
greater emphasis on conspicuous consumption of that income.  They don't
have more disposable income because they make more money than their
foreign cohort (quite the contrary, if anything) - it's just that they can
live
off their parents so much longer.

Hey, if my folks covered my keitai bill, do you think I'd waste time
talking on this mailing list when I could be chatting all of you up
directly?

I'll stop here before I get too far into stereotype mine-fields.

Michael Turner
leap@gol.com