(keitai-l) Re: Who owns what in this industry

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/18/01
Another perspective on it: here's some technological "IP" I just wrote:

/* my_ip.c - [characteristically acerbic comment here] */
main()
{
  printf ("(C) Michael Turner.  All rights reserved.\n");
  exit(-1);
}

Yes, this is "intellectual property," I'm sorry to say.  As "property,"
it may be worth less than a homestead on a tiny sandbar in the
Mississippi delta; as "intellectual" production it might rank up there
somewhere with adolescent invective on SlashDot.  It is, nevertheless,
IP.  Moreover, it's *my* IP.  So don't you go gettin' any ideas now,
y'hear?

Accordingly, when we read that "Openwave has contributed two
pieces of its IP to the project" -- especially in using such a
rigorous engineering unit of measure as "piece" -- it might mean
little more than "Openwave has some bug-ridden code with its
copyright notices in it."

Michael Turner
leap@gol.com