(keitai-l) Re: Can J-Phone rock DoCoMo's boat?

From: Zev Blut <zev_at_atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Date: 06/19/01
There is no question about the 3D api extension, it is a feature added only
for
J-Phone phones.  I definitely agree with about what is happening with
development
for Java applets in '96.

If you look at the DoJa API, users can develop applications that target
specific phones.
Even in the API there is the room for the manufacturers to add on a special
API.  I have
not seen the special API, but on other things if you look at GigaHZ you will
see various
i-applis that only run on certain phones.

MIDP, is not fully compliant too.  It has many grey zones in it that even
developers who only stick to what is in the CLDC and MIDP APIs can end up
making Midlets (applications) that only run on
some of the phones.  These grey zones are things like Midlet size and the
how much data you can save on the phone.  That is left up to the phones.
Also, I believe that one of the phones in the US(I think Nortel??? I might
be wrong on this) supports the use of Datagrams, but the others do not.
So if you happen to skirt along on the grey zones you might end up making
software that only runs
on a few phones (Sun never mentions these issues in press releases, nor do
they mention the DoCoMo API just it is a J2ME solution = ).
I think DoCoMo got things right here by making the restrictions clear, of
course some of the API could be much better.

Interestingly KDDI is going to supposedly release their Java phones to run
MIDP (probably with special KDDI APIs tacted on) plus the ability to run
i-applis.  Also, they have an interesting idea of
adding security levels to the applications to allow for more access to the
phone's features.

To me, I think Java on phones is more about having the ability to develop
applications for the phones
without being in cohorts with the manufactures.  That is what is great about
it, not the "write once run anywhere" concept (it is ideal, but too far
away).  Then that brings up the question about why not develop for Brew
then?  Well the problem with Brew is that you have to get approval from
Qualcomm before you can release your software.  That is also a current
problem with J-Phone is that for the first couple of months users can only
download approved software.  That really limits third party developers.  And
if it is going to be limited then give me full access to the phone's
features and data!!!

Well I hope that made sense = )
Zev