(keitai-l) resource: javamobiles.com (was: Can J-Phone rock DoCoMo's boat?)

From: Joseph Bowbeer <jozart_at_blarg.net>
Date: 06/20/01
There's a nice list of Java phones at http://javamobiles.com

Check out the Siemens SL45i with mp3 player & 32mb...

Note below: Nortel => Nextel (Motorola i85s)

-- original --

From: "Zev Blut" <zev@atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Subject: Re: Can J-Phone rock DoCoMo's boat?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:47:21 +0900

MIDP, is not fully compliant too.  It has many grey zones in it that even
developers who only stick to what is in the CLDC and MIDP APIs can end up
making Midlets (applications) that only run on some of the phones.  These
grey zones are things like Midlet size and the how much data you can save on
the phone.  That is left up to the phones. Also, I believe that one of the
phones in the US(I think Nortel??? I might be wrong on this) supports the
use of Datagrams, but the others do not. So if you happen to skirt along on
the grey zones you might end up making software that only runs on a few
phones (Sun never mentions these issues in press releases, nor do they
mention the DoCoMo API just it is a J2ME solution = ).  I think DoCoMo got
things right here by making the restrictions clear, of course some of the
API could be much better.