(keitai-l) Re: bwute! [i-mode ssh]

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 06/24/01
(this is the guts of something posted off list - but it is relevant to
your post)

>If you're the sysad, you can let it do anything you're brave enough to
>allow.  I just think you're going to end up hacking your webadmin
>interface to do 95% of what you're thinking of, and you'll wait until
>you have a real keyboard (or at least a palmtop) to do the remaining
>5%.

I do take your point. One whole class of problems could be handled by
scripts that one has in a particular directory. These scripts would just
do things and would not show output to the phone.

eg:
 ./mysql.server start
shutdown -r

A second class is similar to above, but one wants feedback.

eg: give me directory listing of /xxx/xxx/xxx
or: ps -afx
open file xx.xxx and show me last 30 lines.

both the above could be "webadmin" type buttons, perhaps with the ability
to specify parameters or names and paths.

A third class is where one wants to interact in text editor fashion.

eg: amend /etc/inittab ('cos something is loading that is suddenly
crashing the box).

*That* would require text editor functionality. Buttons are only useful
for the "we thought of this" cases. I recently had a major, nasty,
boxcrashing problem that the buttons approach would not have been able to
handle. Of course for that "5%" one can go to a "real computer", and in
that sense it is a convenience - but a very useful one.

of course if one has the ability to amend files and see output, one can
just write a script to execute arbitrary commands....

regards nick