(keitai-l) JavaPhone success (was Re: Re: does anyone know how many Java-enabled phones have been sold in Japan?)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/12/01
michael@haa.com.tw writes:

> from http://www.nttdocomo.com/i/i_m_scr.html
> the total subscribers is about 19500 thousands on 2001 Jan.
> the total subscribers is about 25269 thousands on 2001 July. 8.
>
> Java phone was first launched on 2001 Jan
>
> so since Java phone was available,
> 4260/(25269-19500)=73.8% subcribers choose i-appli rather than non-java
> i-mode.
>
> Wa! that's huge success for Java in wireless market.
>
> How do u think?
>
> Michael

I think....that I must routinely sign off as
"Michael *Turner*" from now on.

(At least this is better than that guy who
was signing off "Thanks, Michael" which
always made me want to ask "for what?"
until I realized that he wasn't hitting Enter
after the comma.)

Anyway, yes, this is clearly a success of some
kind.  Now, however, you'll have the cultural
exceptionalists weighing into the debate saying,
"well, that's just Japan for you, isn't it?  Buncha
gadget otaku, don't you know."

Someone might point out that penetration was
already fairly high, so one might suspect that
this 73.8% (if that's what it is) might really be
the dweeby gadget freaks, who'll jump on anything
cooler-than-thou.

I reserve judgment (not that anybody listens
to me anyway.....) until I see some demographics.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com