(keitai-l) Re: Docomo is Leaking E-mail Addresses

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 07/19/01
Nick,
I actually have Shunichiro Mishima, vice president of business development
for NTT DoCoMo USA, Inc. on tape saying that this was a great business for
them, and that it allowed them to make money 'out of scratch'. I also have
Takashi Tanemura, a really nice guy, and vice president of electronic media
at Nikkei USA, on tape saying they got about a 20% response rate when they
used this service from D2. Again, I wasn't that interested at the time, so I
didn't follow up on the specifics of the service. I listened to the tape
again, just to be sure of what they had said. Both referred to the service
as an opt-in service, which I wasn't familiar with.  You asking me for proof
prompted me to go to D2's website (http://www.d2c.co.jp) and look at exactly
what it was Mishima and Tanemura had been talking about.  It turns out that
the proposition was not as simple as I thought, with users actually having
to turn on an option setting in the i-mode Option Settings menu, called
メッセジF. If your browser doesn't support Japanese, that said 'message F'. *IF*
this is turned on, a user will get targeted e-mails. So, I take back what I
said about Curt's address being sold. Although, it might be a good idea to
go to the settings and set it to off, just to be on the safe side.
Sorry for my jumping to conclusions, and hope I clarified the actual
situation. I am still quite happy to be unbothered by junk mails. Curt, I
won't say what my docomo mail is, but it is not anything Japanese. If you
think about it, there are forty six sounds in kana. If you had a
two-syllable combination, it would only take 2116 tries to hit the right
one. If it were three syllables, it would go up to 4,477,456, still not a
huge number. The fact that you used a really simple looking one, which is to
put 'nokeitai' on the end probably meant they only had to try the first two
syllables. Maybe try 'curtsmobile'? This should break any Japanese-based
random e-mailer. Just to make sure, you could use something with 'ought' or
'zsensk' or something like that in it (no, my e-mail is not
wroughtzsensk@docomo.ne.jp, though now that it has appeared here, some nasty
spider will probably try to mail it, and get an error, and know that it
isn't an e-mail address.)
Cheers,
Nik, Frengle