(keitai-l) Re: Don Listwin on mobile internet

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/03/01
Funk Jeffrey Lee wrote:

> It's interesting that Don Listwin claims there are 30 million mobile
> internet subscribers outside of japan when the WAP forum claimed there were
> only 18 million (presumably including japan) subscribers in the world a few
> months ago (may 2001)

Jeff:

We don't agree with the figure of 30 million WAP users outside Japan - I think
it's more like 12 million, but we are working on a more accurate estimate.

We spent quite some time analyzing WAP usage. In August 2000 we came up
with the
following figures for WAP users based on discussions with a number of executives
of major mobile service and handset companies, my friends at Openwave,
and on
our other research:

# of actual WAP users August 2000 (not # of WAP-enabled handsets):
Japan     4.1 Million
Korea     2.3 - 3 Million
Germany   450,000
UK        300,000
France    110,000
Austria    25,000
Italy     100,000

These figures are expressed in the figure on our website:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/imode/faq-wap.html
The CEO of the WAP-Forum Scott Goldman has discussed our findings
at length and found them  "fair, accurate and well written".

Recently numbers in Europe seem to have gone up to around
6 million (from 1 million in August 2000), and to 1.25 million
in Germany (from 450,000 in August 2000).

We are now working on new estimates and will publish them in due course.

Best regards,

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/