(keitai-l) Re: Network latency when using HTTPConnection

From: Josh White <josh_at_vectorg.com>
Date: 09/04/01
Gustaf,

Another "thank you" for those latency numbers - I'm writing a little study on
the viability of building profitable wireless applications, and this is
definitely useful data (in that it eliminates low-latency-dependent apps).
I'm surprised I haven't seen more actual raw data on network performance.
Maybe I just don't know where to look...

> [...] these figues look pretty good, especially if they are the average
latencies. I guess the next question is what
> is the standard deviations [...]

...which leads to this idea: I'd love to see an online worldwide comparison
chart of wireless network data performance - latency, bandwidth.

e.g.

Operator	Net Name	Latency	Bandwidth
------------------ ------------------ ------------------- ------------------
Docomo	I-Mode		n		n
Docomo	FOMA		n		n
Vodafone			n		n
AT&T		PocketNet	n		n

etc.

The "n" represents the average value across the whole network.  In my dreams,
I could click on the "n" and get a table of actual user sampled data below it,
backing conclusions like "90% of users get <300ms, 60% get <100ms and 10% get
<10ms."

Anyone know of such a site?

Thanks,
-Josh