(keitai-l) Re: Pornography

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 09/06/01
JD wrote:
> [...]
> >[Note: the rest of this email is about pornography. Stop reading now if
> >this is likely to offend you.]
> >
> >A traditionally successful form of content on the net and in wider media
> >has always been pornographic or other sexual content. Current phones lack
> >the oomph to do anything other than provide online dating - but the new
> >phones open up all sorts of possibilities and - in the beginning at least
> >- I suspect we will see a lot of activity in this area

Screw pornography... getting laied is the killer imode app.

I know of at least two separate site design efforts that are centered
around cataloging and detailing the girls available at various hostess
bars.  So remember, the next time you get dragged into one of those
depressing places that serve up 120,00yen bottles of crap saki by your
Japanese friends, you're probably providing the funding for at least
one imode site.  Interestingly enough, one of these sites is based
off of code developed for a car parts imode site (I'm not sure if I
like the analogy either).  FOMA visual booking at hostess bars
screams for a P2P payment system and if you're a frequent visitor,
what better way see if you can score a date (with the new girl) based
upon patronage for which your company pays the tab (represented by
pachinko ball progress bar).  The girls, themselves, would be more
than likely to subscribe to a FOMA payment gateway where by customers
would pay an initial connect and per-minute fee just to dial up a
prospective date on her off time to negotiate <whatever>.  It would
probably represent a significant form of (completely harmless) side
revenue and it would separate the time-wasting free-loaders who want
to practice their english (one of the main reasons that girls don't
give out phone #s (unless the deal is all but sealed) and bars like
to provide the phones) from those with the cash.

Reminds me of track 9 off the beavis and butthead soundtrack:
   ...pimppen' ain't easy but it sho'is fun...

Obviously the site would need to be hosted outside of Japan.  With
FOMA, a certain amount of ephemeral, point to point "content" will
be handled by NTT/docomo (they haven't spun out the services yet,
but these are in the pipeline).  The lead-in site that matches
customer with content would be best hosted off-shore.  Keeping a
good bengoshi on tap to make sure your NTT/docomo DialQsie servce
doesn't get shut down is prbably a good idea.

One of my friends was running phone dating message board about 5+
years ago and the JPs shut that shit down faster that you can say
"gomenasai" after some mother complained that her teenage daughter
was horing herself out at 100,00yen a pop using his phone service.
At the time he was pulling in ~$5k per month with the only operating
costs being the NTT phone service and posterboard advertising.  Of
course if you have betties all but giving it away (anything for that
new Fendi bag), you've got "viral" marketing working for you anyway.

Depending on the popularity of the site and the political sensitivity,
the site might end up being blocked at the gateways... good thing
domain names and off-shore web hosting are cheap, eh?  Because FOMA
is inside the gateways and because you have retained legal services,
that part of the business should be untouchable (unless you *really*
piss someone important off or happen to be gijin).

If you're not any good at tap-dancing on the cultural tightrope that
separates acceptable from unacceptable in Japan (which can be more
than a little confusing for someone who hasn't lived here for a long,
long time), perhaps boling alley and pachinko hall imode sites are
a better choice... at lest you'll get paid (one time) for your work.