(keitai-l) Re: From Japan.Inc: The Dirty Little Secret of i-Mode

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 09/06/01
I think I'm with Nick, here.

<rant>

Unofficial sites don't make money?  This is a very
top-down, regulated society.  If it's not an
*official* way to make money, it's usually
an *illegal* way to make money.  Not that that
many people are stopped from doing this -- of the
44 people who died in Kabukicho the other
night, most were patronizing a business that
operated openly, despite being illegal. I don't
like this cultural pattern much, but it's the way things
are here.

If you're really concerned about the money,
let's do the accounting the other way: what
has been the net *loss* in the U.S. bubble?
Only getting nickel-dime payments, and only
if you jump through NTT DoCoMo hoops the
right way, should be compared to the hundreds
of billions of dollars flushed down into all those
e-commerce startups, flying high on all that
New Economy rhetoric with its inflated productivity-
growth arguments.  Better the straitjacket society
than lunatics running wild?  I'm not saying that, but
somebody oughta bring George Gilder over here
and make him live on 1500 yen per day for meals,
at least until he stops saying "paradigm shift."

</rant>

-michael turner
leap@gol.com