(keitai-l) Re: From Japan.Inc: The Dirty Little Secret of i-Mode

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 09/07/01
This post has obviously ruffled a few feathers. I've observed as a neutral
and agree
with both sides of the discussion.

The non-profitability of I-mode sites does not mean the I-mode business
model itself
is unprofitable.

* I-mode as a business model can be very profitable.
* Most I-mode related companies however will be unprofitable.
* The companies that support and deliver (infrastructure, network) to the
frontline companies
(ie content producers) will benefit the most.

As with most technology driven booms, 95% of the participants are
unprofitable by very nature
of the boom. The gold-diggers rarely make money - only those that build the
railroad,
picks & shovels do (ie DoCoMo, infrastructure companies etc). Cybird's big
losses
despite market position as case in point (Non-consolidated Losses 1.22bn Yen
out
of Sales 2.9bn Yen).

Graham Brown
www.wirelessworldforum.com