(keitai-l) Re: DoCoMo and email

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 09/07/01
At 00:50 2001-09-08, plunkett, sinead wrote:
>Hi
>Can anyone tell me what protocol DoCoMo uses to relay it's email on iMode.

To the outer world they use SMTP as everyone else.

But I guess you mean for delivery to the handsets. For that, they actually
use http, even though it is delivered to a client program. It's of course
non-standard and not published.

This will also be used by KPN and E-plus and is the famous advanced network
optimization technology they are contributing with.

On a GPRS network with all the crazy latency, this is actually a lot more
efficient than POP3, which becomes very slow with all verbose talking. POP3
is also pure pull, which is another reason for using http in this strange way.

/g

>Thank you!
>Sinead

[ excessive quoting removed ]