(keitai-l) In defense of Layer8

From: David Davies <david_at_intadev.com>
Date: 09/08/01
On Sat 9/8/2001 11:07 AM

Paul Bryan Lester Wrote:

>>    More than the economy this half-true/half-false rumors is a bigger
>> danger for us.  That's why I am writing this to use what I can say to
try
>> to squanch the half-this half-that stuff.

At risk of getting flamed for opposing freedom of speech or some other
US borne concept of unequivocal unilateral justice.  (They invented all
laws right ?)

 I do totally agree with Paul on this point.

Tokyo can be a small place and such rumors are very dangerous indeed and
for no good reason can damage or destroy a companies ability to operate
effectively.

Its a hard enough job to just run a business without fighting ghosts.

Without advocating restriction of speech, _please_ make sure if you say
something that you do know the full picture and that you make a balanced
and fair commentary.  The current rumours concerning various parts of
Linc are wild and inconsistant at best.

The same principle in my oppinion applies to news commentary/reporting.

>>     But there may be other people who are not doing as well
>> as us in the market.
And Paul, careful not to throw stones eh ;-)

Propagating stories (whether true or not) damages the industry as a
whole.   If investors or clients view Layer8 or Linc as troubled then it
just makes things harder for all the other prospering companies in the
same market and slows growth in general.  Many people on this list are
riding in the same boat together.

There appears to be so much well paying work around in the Japan
iMode/Mobile market that competition simply isn’t an issue at this
stage. Its therefore much better to see other companies prospering and
the whole industry growing.   Negative attitude, rumours and bitchin
achieve nothing.

In many ways Tokyo at this moment is like being in Silicon Valley in the
80's (and pioneers there didn’t grasp the full implications of what was
happening either.)  Part of the reason Silicon Valley boomed is becasue
nobody at that time knew what a dot-com-bubble-bust was or expected to
get ridiculious returns on investments in the first place (it didnt
matter then and it really shouldnt matter now.) lets stop looking for
reasons to fail and predicting doom and just get on with the job.

I'm sure Layer8 has great prospects, as does every other company playing
the iMode/Mobile card right now.

(as long as they don’t take certain news articles too seriously ;-) )

Regards,

David Davies

www.intadev.com <http://www.intadev.com>

-- Type: application/ms-tnef