(keitai-l) Re: Cmode experience

From: Christian Molstrom <cmolstrom_at_lightsurf.com>
Date: 09/10/01
> I think you may have missed the point...
>
> ...to me, the point is not to carry change at all.
>
> [...]->gold->gold coins->coins->gold-backed-paper->paper->?

My comment was not advocating coin currency.  Cashless is good.  It was a
lamentation over putting lots of technical and otherwise resources into
"solving" a problem that is not a problem in the first point.  Well, maybe I
differ in my views on that: fundamentally I see technology as a tool for
problem solving.  cMode, on the other hand, reeks of a tool for profit
making.  And that's okay too, but we should be careful to keep the two
separate (often times they aren't).  Either that or there is indeed a
problem cMode was designed to solve and I am too block headed to see it.

> There some interesting theories about the inherent value of
> communication and information eventually displacing simple
> posessions and property.

Quite possibly there are, but what is so special about cMode that makes it
qualify as an application of one of these theories of property-displacing
information?  I'd be interested to hear more, but you still gotta have a
phone, an account, and a battery charger with an electrical source.
Moreover, it seems that a typical person in today's info-sated world is the
possessor of a lot, lot, more "simple" property than "before" (whenever that
was).

Cheers,

Christian
- - -