(keitai-l) Re: Proprietary = BAD

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/18/01
Interesting viewpoints, Drew. I agree to some limited extent.

We can also see some withering of telecom-vines going on in
Europe.

Actually, some companies in the mobile food chain
in Japan recently went public and are doing rather well - so
well that they are talking to us to expand to Europe and US.

We recently have a pretty large number of US and European
companies coming to us to help them build a participation here in
Japan's mobile internet markets. Some of these recently
changed their names from something like:

old-name:       WAP-fantastic
new name:       i-fantastic

I guess maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle...

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/

drew.freyman@nokia.com wrote:

> 1.  I am not speaking as a representative of Nokia (anyway I am the venture
> fund NOT Nokia) but as individual participating in this list.
> 2.  In this case, we were speaking about the sustainability and
> extensibility of the model.
>
> The sustainability of the Japanese model has been called into doubt by the
> withering on the vine of many in the carrier's food chain, this is all the
> way from the terminal manufacturers (despite the fact that NEC and
> Matsushita are selling so many terminals they are still on very very tough
> times) to their suppliers (despite the fact companies like Access have 80%
> share of their particular space you do not see huge ramp in revenues) to the
> content providers (it is no coincidence that many of the famous aggregators
> are morphing their business models to become 'platform providers').  These
> are not Nokia observations, but the observations of the JAPANESE companies
> that participated in this committees work.

[ excessive quoting removed ]