(keitai-l) Re: Proprietary = BAD

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 09/19/01
I completely agree that a model of determining what revenue producing end
user services are possible, then developing a terminal to server deployment
platform is the best one.  Is this the Japanese model?  I just thought it
was good business sense.

Just one point about Europe.  I believe the SMS market has generated as much
if not more revenues for carriers there than the Japanese mobile internet
market has for DCM, KDDi, J-Phone (somebody jump in if they have data to the
contrary).   However, SMS has required a fraction of the investment.

I believe a more credible explanation of why WAP did not work is because
nobody was concerned for it to work.  The initial deployments were more like
tests (even though you site the huge investments in WAP it is nothing
really) and a very few of the Europen carriers seemed serious about it.
Little promotion to end users, primarily media driven frenzy.  Everybody was
waiting for GPRS.  Now that you see GPRS starting to happen, the European
carriers are doing just as any business making large investments would:
They are asking what kind of services can generate revenues and what kind of
platform is necessary to support them.  They are working with terminal
manufacturers and platform providers to pull together an end-to-end
revenue-generating solution.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]