(keitai-l) Re: Proprietary = BAD

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 09/19/01
I did not say there was no competition in Japan, and I was not comparing
Japan to other countries.  I postulated that the monopoly or oligopoly-like
characteristics of the market place has significantly diminished the
potential economic benefits that might have been created through  Japanese
innovations in the mobile internet space.  I wrote that Japanese carrier
business practices have greatly affected the sustainability and
extensibility of the model.

Oligopoly does not assume no competition amongst participants.  It assumes
that it is in the oligopoly participants' interests to collude to prevent
new entry by new players or introduction of new models that might change the
distribution of resources/profits in the system.  The oligopoly can be
marked by intense levels of competition amongst participants, without the
necessary benefits to society that open, easy entry markets provide.

A side note, you point out many alternate systems to cMode as evidence that
anybody can join in.  However, the point is not whether anybody can set up a
transaction system for iMode.  If DCM does not select/anoint you, you are
significantly disadvantaged.  For example, you would not have access to the
terminal's soft id info so to authenticate the user he/she would have to log
in every time he/she used the system.  This usability problem would
hamstring you compared to DCM-selected partners, which could offer services
inside the DCM portal, without any login, and still connected to the DCM
phone bill.  Many say this is why 'non-official' sites are having so much
trouble making money.