(keitai-l) Re: Proprietary = BAD

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 09/19/01
>Proprietary = BAD / Inferior = Doomed
>Many people appear to take the relationship to be self-evident.

I think this thread is one that bears resemblance to religious conviction.
There are
those that believe and there are those that don't and neither will change.

Although Open source has a lot to offer it is often naive to consequently
believe that
proprietary is a necessary evil. Proprietary is bad, perhaps, for elements
of the industry
but all-in-all it's benefits lie with the consumer, who - after all- makes
the wireless world go round.

The user doesn't give a hoot about the nature of their technology. Bill
Gates, much decried by the
technical purists, will be thanked by your average consumer for giving them
Windows.
Despite it's advantages I don't see many "normal" people (ie *not* this list
& myself included)
using Linux or even attempting to learn it.

It's very easy to romanticise about the potential of Open Source and the
wireless Utopia often
the shortfall of such a polarised list. However, we live in the real world
and the evolution of
proprietary systems on the back of revenues accrued directly benefits the
consumer - without whom
we wouldn't be here today.

Graham B