(keitai-l) Re: wrap text

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 09/25/01
> Speaking of which, do imode browsers generally do
> word-wrapping?  I realize it wouldn't make sense in
> Japanese, but then Japanese doesn't normally contain
> spaces.

i-mode browsers don't support word wrapping for English
text yet, there is not really a need to for us few viewers.

<side note>
One of the new J-Phone phones (Toshiba) claim that they are
bi-lingual (they call the English mode the "simple mode"),
but if you change to the "simple mode", most of the
functions like Java are not working anymore. This for the
need to support English.
</side note>

Japanese text is sometimes also hard to read if no word
separators are used and you see only the beginning of a
word, while the end is outside the visible area and you
need to scroll to see the rest. This is a common point
where our Japanese usability testers complain about. Good
Japanese Keitai interface design is to use word separators
quite a lot.

> I see server-side wrapping, which is a pain to read on
> browsers of various widths.  Then sometimes they
> center it, which is cheesy.

But it can look good in Japanese and is a good way to
separate single words. In English it looks bad, you are
right.

Just my 0.2 yen,

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht  [Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. Tokyo, Japan]
i-mode consulting, development and testing: http://nooper.co.jp/