(keitai-l) Re: Blip, blip, zap! 3G in Europe & roaming...

From: Marc Printz <Marc.Printz_at_724.com>
Date: 10/11/01
> From: Benjamin Kowarsch [mailto:benjk@mac.com]
>
> On Thursday, October 11, 2001, at 11:55 , Juergen Specht wrote:
>
> > Soon you can use 3G services also in Europe, the Group 3G
> > announced their new service "Quam" and this is their
> > homepage: http://www.quam.com/experience.html
>
> Seamless roaming between Europe and Japan will be a long and
> stony way
> though, so no reason to get excited just yet.

What percentage of mobile phone users do you think do actually roam
intercontinentally and really need a roaming phone? I consider myself as
quite a traveller but I won't actually die without roaming (the particular
situation in the Japan-Korea-HK triangle is not wonderful but I don't really
mind too much to carry a GSM phone around). Obviously, if there's a way to
do roaming then people will like it and go for the offer. But if its not
there then they just don't: no one is going to be hurt. Particularly not the
majority of people.

Bottom line: why should a lack of intercontinental roaming keep me from
getting excited about 3G - there are much better reasons I suspect.

Marc (irresponsibly still not having switched over from that 4:3 TV to a
16:9 TV)