(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 5510 GPRS ??

From: Jay <wirelessjava_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10/15/01
I have seen and talked with Finnish and Scandinavian
countries and I get the impresssion that they are
betting on GPRS to be big.   It is partly because they
did not have to play for liceses for that spectrum
unlike 3G licenses.

The Japanese are going full speed with 3G with FOMA.
What doe the Europeans have that makes them want GPRS
so bad instead of following the Japanese with 3G and
this point in time?

-----Jay

---------------Jay

--- Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk@mac.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 11, 2001, at 06:58 , Benedict
> Evans wrote:
>
> > In other words, have Nokia decided not to bother
> taking GPRS-only
> > handsets seriously - is this Nokia 'treading
> water' while they put the
> > real development effort into dual-mode 3G
> handsets? And decent screens?
>
> There are quite a number of Nokia GPRS handsets due
> to hit the market
> before and around Xmas this year. IIRC the first one
> to come is a 5xxx
> or 6xxx with GPRS, then a GRPS version of the 82xx
> and I think there was
> also talk about a new communicator with GPRS next
> year.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]