(keitai-l) Re: Packet Video, Emblaze Wireless, and other Stea ming companies

From: Jamie Finn <Jamie.finn_at_hellonetwork.com>
Date: 10/16/01
While PV maybe a leader as far as marketing goes, i am not sure how far
their actual technology goes. It should be interesting to see, the one
thing that always irks me about the PV press releases is how carefully
worded they are...never mentioning the actual devices or frame rates
etc(saying a FOMA phone and or PDA does not count).

Also how is a TRIAL proof of leadership in a marketplace?

I think the streaming media realm is over hyped as is and in reality the
only companies to deliver on a live 3G network are matsushita and
emblaze.

Yes I am biased, my job is director of wireless products for
helloNetwork, a java streaming media company...
http://www.hellonetwork.com and yes we have fully operational streaming
video in the US, Japan and in Europe. Of course our trials are not
nearly as public but I can show you a phone streaming live and onDemand
video in the US, Europe and Japan. Also our website shows demo's of all
these things.

It should also be noted that PV always preaches interoperability of
MPEG4 but does any of PV's proprietary technology work(frametrack etc)
with emblaze encoded streams? In fact it only will work with PV encoded
MPEG4 hence losing all the benefits of MPEG4 and of the QOS Software
that PV provides, so in reality you must use their proprietary
technology to gain the benefits that they preach about maintaining QOS.

On final question to the group. Where would you rather have proprietary
technology, at the end user with a player ( a la real or microsoft),
where upgrades are impossible to manage, or at the back end where the
people who know what they are doing can manage it?

So read carefully...

The platform also employs the MPEG4 (Moving Picture Experts Group-4)
technology for its data-coding standards, and thus content providers
will be able to distribute content not only to FOMA terminals but also
to various PDAs. DoCoMo is planning to use a PHS network for
distribution of video content to PDAs. (2G network)

NTT DoCoMo has also announced that it will set up the FOMA Live
Streaming Delivery Trial Consortium on September 20, 2001. The
consortium will consist of 32 corporations and other organizations, and
it will develop and study service applications for the FOMA Live-Video
Distribution Platform. It also will verify the marketability of the
service and will create and foster new markets for real-time video
streaming using wireless terminals. (yet another trial?????)

The consortium will conduct actual field trials of new live-video and
archive-video streaming applications from October 1, 2001 through
February 28, 2002, so as to verify the practical convenience and
technical aspects of the new service. NTT DoCoMo will act as a
secretariat of the Consortium and organize regular meetings.

--

It should also be noted that PV always preaches interoperability, MPEG4<
but does any of PV's proprietary technology work with hmm emblaze
reality you must use their proprietary technology to gain the benefits
that they preach about maintaining QOS.

On final question to the group. Where would you rather be proprietary,
at the end user where upgrades are impossible to manage or at the back
end where the people who know what they are doing can manage it?