(keitai-l) Re: JPhone introduces Prepay (extended to Wireless Forensics in general)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/05/01
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Jorge @ allinabill wrote:

> Taking out individual personal data
> like MSISDN should not be too much of a trouble. It could be replaced by
> other form of id that means nothing but can be used to track all records
> from that particular individual without giving away any info that could
> trace it back to the individual in question.

Um...a trace of someone's movements is exactly the info you need to trace
back to an individual, if you just follow the individual around for a day
(or perhaps even a few hours). In order for privacy to be preserved, the
identifier would have to be changed at frequent intervals, probably daily.

There are probably tricks you could use to get this information even
without following someone. If you simply a know a few places they go to
during certain times during the day (e.g., know where they live, where
they work, and invite them to something that would cause them to visit
a third place they don't normally go) you could likely find the user's
trace amongst all of the traces for a day.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org