(keitai-l) Re: bulky phone fashion

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 12/09/01
>> If you take them apart it's a lot of air inside, and there is no real
>> reason for that they should be much bigger than a N503iS.

> *Technologists*, trying to understand *fashion*?!?  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha......

Actually a design decision is pretty much user driven (it's an
end-user product after all). If you sometimes wait for people
at the famous meeting spot Hachiko (for outsiders: People in
Japan tend to meet at meeting spots rather than home, because
home could be *very* small and maybe *far* away) close to the
Shibuya crossing (http://nooper.co.jp/showcase/gallery.php?s=4&l=en)
you see almost daily some people walking around with a suitcase
and a clipboard and watching people.

Suddenly they start to ask somebody if they want to have a look
in the suitcase and show around 10 different Keitai design studies,
who all differ a bit...some are bigger, some smaller, some have a
"private window", some not. The people get asked about the first,
second and third favorite, about their job and age. Than they get
a little gift for their time and that's it.

The first time I saw it I made my fun out of following these
interviewers around (top secret, like it is my nature...I was
wearing a long bright trenchcoat, a hat and sunglasses) and
tried to get more than a glimpse of the phones, but there was
absolutely no hint of the brand and I guess that not even the
interviewers had an idea of it.

So if you want to be part of the design process, just disguise
your real nationality and gender behind a Shibuya girl costume
and wait for the interviewers at Hachiko. They will find you!

Gambatte!

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. Tokyo, Japan
i-mode/FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/