(keitai-l) Re: SMS on DoCoMo possible ?

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/19/02
DoCoMo never had SMS for PDC, though I reckon it's still not too
late while FOMA is foaming on the runway and can't takeoff.

(1)
in the first place, there is no SMS standard in the PDC MAP like
GSM 03.40 or cdma IS-637, because DoCoMo had no interest.

DoCoMo has a short-mail service, which sends and receives text
messages among PDC phones (DTMF).

; messages can also be sent from ordinary land-line telephones
; or pay-phones.  no retry (a fatal mistake by NEC).  maximum
; 50 kanji chars per message.  up to 20 messages can be stored
; on the network, for maximum 72 hours.  charged as voice call,
; minimum 5 yen.

(2)
Logica and Ericsson designed a special protocol for PDC SMS, and
NEC implemented it on their switches, too (in a way better than
Ericsson).  it's ISUP in the core network and DTMF modem over
the voice channel, very like CID (Bell 202 or V.23) but I don't
have the details.

the Logica systems have been working for J-Phone and TU-KA for
many years.  the two operators carry well over 10% of the world's
SMS traffic, more than any other country (incl. Philippines where
SMS is free), generated by 1.5% of the world's subscribers.

Logica, only Logica, or maybe Aldiscon, knows all the tricks.
(I don't work for Logica).

(3)
the i-mode mail for PDC has the fame of delayed message delivery
because they don't have guaranteed store-and-forward or retry -
the SMSC.

the FOMA network has Logica SMSC, but DoCoMo demanded everything
in a strange way, like for i-mode.  FOMA is not compatible with
any other 3G network.  if I have to use three words to describe
the design, then it's bad, worse, worst (first to market it is).

cheers,

Ken