(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: dtalbot <dtalbot_at_j-com.co.jp>
Date: 07/07/02
Hi Ken,

> PHS is more expensive than PDC if one tries to provide similar
> coverage, and its last stronghold, the 64 kb/s data, will be
> eliminated by WLAN in half to one year's time

Interesting idea about using PHS for roaming. Not sure about the issues for
setting up a PHS network from scratch but as far current services in Japan
go I think PHS is still going to put up a good fight.

Most heavy data users in Japan use PHS not FOMA or 1X or PDC. Subscriber
figures for PHS packet services are growing fast, and unlike subscribers for
other services such as 1X or i-mode/PDC most of these users are actively
subscribing for the data access - rather than just as a voice/phone upgrade.
The success of PHS packet services in Japan since last year, bodes well for
GPRS. Speeds are probably comaparable and costs for both are in a different
dimension from 3G. Not sure that WLAN really has much of a chance to
compete.

They've been a few questions on the list about how often you actually see
people using the broadband features of FOMA/1X. Most people you see
connecting PCs wirelessly in public tend to be using a PHS card. Current
best effort 128Kbps speeds are pretty usable (if not quite what they say
they are) and the flat rate pricing is going to make it difficult for 3G
networks to compete for at least a couple of years.
PHS operators have had a hard time with voice in the past, but I heard that
even DoCoMo who seemed to have turned it's back on PHS, was considering
upgrading it's PHS network to follow DDI's success.

DDI are, I suppose, the only PHS network operator that's really got it
together to make the most of PHS. Their "Mobile IP" service is, as far as I
know, the first wholesale wireless interconnection service of it's kind in
the world, and there are apparently a few big names out there who are
considering launching their own wireless services over it.

http://www.ddipocket.co.jp/news/h130810.html

Cheers
David