(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/08/02
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Benjamin wrote:

> And they would be able to buy bandwidth cheaply from a new WiFi provider
> operating a 100Mbit/s wireless backbone in the 5GHz band offering
> amongst other services, corporate VPN.

We're certainly not going to see this happening in the next couple of
years, and there's a substantial chance that we'll never see it. 5 GHz
just does not have the range to be useful for applications outside of
a room. Even within a room, if it's not a small one, you need multiple
access points.

Add to your basic problems with using 5 GHz the fact that it's also
unlicensed spectrum, and I think you've got a recipe for disappointment
if you try to do anything substantial with it. I could see building a
lot of high-speed point-to-point links with lasers, but that's certainly
much more trouble than laying fibre. (Though I don't know how the costs
would compare.)

cjs