(keitai-l) Re: size limit on imode emails

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/08/02
Curt,

>I'll leave mine as it is; I don't really need more than 250 characters
>anyway.

I also think 500 bytes are enough for text messaging, and if not,
it'll save you money.  longer length is more psychological, which
is exactly what DoCoMo wants.

I didn't know the 500 byte message length is so hardwired in NEC
mopera design and they can't assemble the separated messages on
handset either.

what DoCoMo really needs is the mail attachment, then let's have
a look at the i-shot center.

first,
the i-mode mail is used as notification, as SMS is used in MMS.
you can have concatenated short messages to support 500 bytes
and an SMSC with SMTP ESMEs can replace the whole i-mode mail
center and provide better service.

second,
the picture is retrieved via C-HTML/ALP, as WAP is used in MMS.
i-mode or WAP makes no difference here (other than what they
already have for "normal" wireless Web access).  any GSM MMSC,
Ericsson, CMG, Logica, Nokia, can easily support i-mode.

conclusion,
DoCoMo needs MMSC, so do au/KDDI and J-Phone.  they all have
somewhat similar but not-so-good design and 3GPP 23.140 and
WAP-205-209 MMS is the solution for all the PDC networks.

cheers,

Ken