(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/10/02
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Benjamin wrote:

> The lower than usual throughput would seem to indicate that the
> connection drops a lot and you only get some payload data through "every
> once in a while", so to speak.

Not too hard to tell, if you've got one of the Seiko cards with the lights.

    solid red			excellent connection
    flashing red (75% on)	good connection
    flashing red (50% on)	fair connnection
    flashing red (25% on)	poor connection
    yellow			not connected, but trying to reconnect

The other light would be green in packet mode, and red in circuit mode.

I've used my PHS card on the Narita Express (before they put in the
802.11b--sigh) and I noticed that exact behaviour; it'd be ok for a bit,
drop, causing huge delays in everything, and then come back after a
handover.

The biggest problem is the damn thing appears to be a reliable
connection, thus playing hell with TCP as TCP's retransmits pile up....

cjs