(keitai-l) Re: Does Qualcomm's BREW Business Model work????

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/15/02
Curt, agree that Java is much more manageable but for the small apps
for mobile phones, there won't be problem how dirty the codes are -
can be simply managed by one average Chinese/Indian/Korean engineer
or 3 average Japanese guys.

speed is an issue.  how can you do the au/KDDI electronic compass
with Java?  Qualcomm is like Microsoft, and there're some reasons.

maybe we'll find Java at the higher level and Brew at the lower level.
like the plug-ins/scripts (Java) and the apps/binaries upgrade
(Java + Brew).  Java may go down to eat into Brew's share gradually
if the handsets get more powerful, but more resource consuming
apps will be needed, too.

Brew is for built-in apps, too.  very interesting there is a JVM
newly developed by K-lab using Brew.

and Jay, please tell me what're the differences between Java and Brew
business ... do I have to buy your book first?

cheers, Ken