(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/19/02
(1)
a rule of thumb is ARPU is very "heavy" and won't change easily.

if a user got a bill significantly (> 10%) more expensive, for
whatever reasons, naturally he'll try to adjust it back next
month by using less.

this involves very complex maths, similar to the theories for
the stock and option markets.  but should be easily understood
by a housewife without calculation.

(2)
using i-shot as an example, there's no way DoCoMo can charge it
at the same level per packet as i-mode (short text) mail.

the charging is designed as (small size, about 120 x 120, 5 KB)
- send over CSD, JPY 10
- receive over PDC-P, JPY 20
  the message (200 byte text plus URL) via i-mode mail, JPY 3
  the picture via Web, JPY 17
* about half price per packet compared with i-mode mail.

it's of course more expensive than per text message, but users
may not even send one i-shot a week (I don't have exact data
at hand, maybe more messages because many switched to 251i from
the 503 series, users that are considered as high segment),
when it's stabilized after the first two weeks when excited
buyers send a lot of photos to friends or their own PCs at
10/20 yen (small/large size) per message (thanks to the great
design, you can't send photo from the 'net to DoCoMo phones).

(3)
I talked with a J-Phone guy today, and he was cool at i-shot.
he said that it was only the effect of new handsets hitting
the market, and people would soon find out i-shot was a fake
Sha-Mail, far less usable.

well, technically it's true, but still I'm not so sure ...
DoCoMo hasn't only created a market, it created a cult as well.

cheers,

Ken